December 11, 2009

New Ride

My Giant roadie

May Senn was very pleased that I had changed my rear cogsets. It was a tremendous improvement to my gear system. It was a new bike after the change. Don’t change your bikes like May Senn, change your gears.

 

I know having new gears won’t solve all my problems climbing Pares. I need to train and develop my power output. I was still riding like an old steam engine, Powerbars notwithstanding. Puff puffing along. I need to build up my strength and endurance. However it was nice pedaling easier with the new gear ratios. Even on flat roads. I had a better range of ratios to play with.

 

I ride almost three times per week around Putrajaya, covering 120 km per  week. On weekends I would ride the Putrajaya 70.3 Ironman route, about 30 km one round with fair average timings of 1 hour 20 mins each round. Climbing the one and half km gradient behind Alamada was a breeze. Don’t get me wrong I was not training for next year’s 70.3 Ironman. I am not a triathlete. I cannot swim, though I started training earlier this year. After 3 months, my personal best distance was 1 km in the swimming pool; with a timing of more than 1 hour. I had learnt to float for half an hour for safety. May Senn watched me swim one weekend and said my breast strokes were wrong. OK got it. But I will have to unlearn my breast strokes first, before I can learn the new strokes. Since then I have not being swimming. I will start again next year. But I digress.

 

 

I know May Senn would be calling for a ride to Pares again soon and I would be better prepared this time around. Penat ke ? Tak. I now have ten teeth more.

No comments:

Post a Comment