December 03, 2009

Pares


My heart would always miss a beat when I hear somebody mention Pares. I am not sure if it was due to excitement or apprehension. I would miss a beat, sometimes more.

 

I had already done Kg Terkala twice and each time somebody would deliberately give me something to look forward to; turn left at the junction to Pares. OK, OK I heard them. The stories, the climb, the thrill of rolling down at almost 40 plus kph. The wind in the hair stories.

 

When May Senn proposed the Pares Ride, I would have to say OK, I am on. No two ways, ready or not. I must bite the bullet. If I had turned down this ride I know I would turn it down again and again. May Senn did gave me a Hopson’s choice, Pares or Kg Terkala again. If I chose to do the latter, then I would have to wait for them at the T junction, after they had come down from Pares. It would have separated me from the men to the boys. Not me, no relegation. Left, I must climb the 9 km to the peak.

 

The usual group met at the RV at Batu 18, Ulu Langat road. We rolled out at 0730 hrs, It was nice morning and an easy warm up ride of 10 km up to the T junction. We rested briefly, hydrated and pushed on. It was the beginning of the long climb to Pares. 9 km uphill to be exact.

 

The first and last hill climbs were supposed to be the steepest of the whole ride. I followed closely behind the main group and managed to make the first climb, with a lot of extra efforts on the legs and with some hard breathing.  Although it was still climbing all the way, the gradients were more forgiving and manageable. I controlled my breathing and just focused on the next immediate bend of the road. But it was still climbing with every bend. No reprieve. The road would turn and bend forever with no hope of a breather.  Riders from other trains would pass me, and they would call with concern ‘ You Ok uncle ?” “Yes I am Ok, but how far up more? I actually don’t understand the word dekat  any more.

 

Yes I almost did make it up to Pares on my first ride. I pushed up the last 300 meters.  I pushed pass the cheeky graffiti Penat Ke? paint-sprayed on the road. Ok, OK penat sangat. I reached the top (rather pushed my bike up to the top) and everybody gave me a hearty applause. I was really overwhelmed with joy. Good for you, they said, my age and all. Most people won’t make it to the top on their first attempt anyway.

 

We had a long rest up at Peres and May Senn told me it was Ok if I did not want to do the next leg to Kg Terkala. I could return Batu 18 and wait for them. I replied OK and that I would decide only when I reach the T junction. They would go no further than Kg Terkala and would wait for me there.

 

I literally freewheeled for the 9 km down hill to the T junction. I was braking more than pedaling. I did not feel the wind in my hair, as I did not have much hair left under my helmet. I felt OK when I reached the T Junction and it was still early in the morning. I decided to ride on to Kg Terkala. I knew the route and hill features. But most of all I almost conquered Pares. I was also elated.

 

The ride onwards to Kg Terkala was slow but easy. When I arrived at Kg Terkala, I did not see the main pack. I had naively asked the fruit vendor,” Ada Nampak kawan kawan saya?”” Ya, dah turun ikut jalan sana”pointing onwards to Seminyih.  So I rode a further 5 km to the Seminyih  Nirvana Memorial site. Still nobody to be seen. Then I saw an ice- cream man and had asked him if he had seen my friends. “Dah kayuh ke sana” pointing to the entrance of the Nirvana Memorial. What ? nobody had said about that direction. THEY WOULD RIDE NO FURTHER THAN KG TERKALA, I remembered. Ok be cool, I calmed myself. It was only about 25 km back to Batu 18.

 

I hit trouble on the ride back. I felt a muscle pulled on my left calf for the first time, only after 5 km ride back. I had about 20 km more to do. I stopped and rested briefly. I continued for another 5 km, pedaling with emphasis on my right leg, when my other leg pulled. This time at the inner side of my right thigh. Boy was I in trouble.

 

Then the right side of my brains worked. I must manage my cramps by shifting my posture by sitting more forward and rearwards and pedaling with different parts of the foot. It worked, as I shifted my posture, different muscles groups were stressed.  I arrived back to Batu18 safely, with two “hard-ons” in the inner sides of both my thighs.  I could see May Senn and others were worried for me. How could I miss them at Kg Terkala? They had not continued onwards to Seminyih, but had nasi lemak at Kg Terkala. What ice-cream man?

 

Thank you for waiting. I believed the ride up to Peres was too taxing for me, hence the cramps on the return ride from Kg Terkala. I was relieved that I was not too much of a burden to the group. I had rode up Pares and will do it again. I was glad I chose to be with the men.


2 comments:

  1. Than you for sharing !! :) really enjoyed this post ! :) congrats again ! anyways, just to let you know, I've featured you in my blog's latest post ! do check it out ! :P http://missjewelz.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Thanks for the feature in your blog. I'll try to blog more after every ride. I enjoyed your camaraderie in our last ride to Lukut.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete