December 21, 2009

Pares Revisited


I was ready when May Senn called to ride Kg Pares again. I was more than ready. I was prepared. My bike now had 10 more teeth in the rear cogset. The climb would be easier.

This time we had two trains assembled at Batu 14. About a dozen riders in all. The main train opted for Kg Pares and beyond. They were the usual fast and furious riders. Any pace, any terrain, any distance. Yes that group. My train comprise only May Senn, Max and me. We planned to ride up Kg Pares and then down to Kg Terkala for nasi lemak. I was doubly assured definitely no further than Kg Terkala again. Don’t listen to anybody, especially, the ice cream man.

The climb to Kg Pares after the T junction wasn’t exactly easy. I still had to kayuh. The immediate difficult hill was fairly easy to climb though. I made my first strategic error with this new experience of having a better gear ratio. I rode most of the way up to Kg Pares too fast as most of the gradients were not too taxing. I should be pedaling consistently and save my energy for the final assault. I should have gone slow and steady most of the way. I over took a cool rider with a backpack; an elderly man about 40ish riding a mtb. He was slow and steady. He told me that he came from Seminyeh and rode up Kg Pares most weekends for exercise.

I could see the top of the peak, another 400 meters to climb. I could do it, although struggling somewhat. I want to make it. No, I MUST make it. Hey, I had overtaken May Senn and Mac who had stopped to wait for me before the final climb. A moment before my triumph, a heavy lorry passed me and I was taken aback with a loud horn. I must have strayed into the middle of the road, twisting left and right; struggling with my balance.

I was stunned and could not balance any more and I decided that the best option was to make a forced and controlled fall onto the road side. I fell nicely, for want of a better description. No impact, no collateral damage and no injuries to self. Only self embarrassment and self pity. So near, yet so far. Never mind, I consoled myself. Kg Pares will always be there for me to climb again.

We rested briefly at the top. My recovery was quick and I was definitely not tired like before. I followed May Senn and Mac down the hill; freewheeling quite fast. The leg to Kg Terkala was a breeze, trailing close behind them. We met a couple of other riders at the rest area had nasi lemak. We discussed the route back. Since we started from Batu 14, we could take the Bukit Hantu route for a change. I have heard about Bukit Hantu, a stairway to Heaven, they had promised. I agreed to the Bukit Hantu route, as I did not experience leg cramps unlike my last ride.

We rode back to the main junction to Bukit Hantu. May Senn and Mac had waited for me there. When I arrived May Senn and Mac had rested enough. I did not stop and turned left to climb Bukit Hantu. I was struggling and they over took me at about 800 meter up the hill. I had no prior knowledge of what to expect from Bukit Hantu. So far it was really tough, notwithstanding my new rear cogset. I called it quits and decided to continue on foot. I now know why it is called Bukit Hantu. It is about 2 to 3 km of unforgiving climbs but the rest of the 6 km to Batu 14 was a Heaven’s delight. But I was amazed to see a lone young rider riding briskly up the climbs. He just zoomed passed us. However I would believe May Senn and Mac would have a hard time at Bukit Hantu. I never asked them.

I had actually push my bike about 2 km to reach the top of Bukit Hantu. I was not ready to ride Bukit Hantu yet. Coming down the remaining stretch to Batu 14 was a breeze. I soon arrived Batu 14 and we had a quick rest before loading up to go home.

My ride to Kg Pares was a success as I had improved on my ride overall. The beauty was that I did not experience any leg cramps. I was not prepared for Bukit Hantu. But I have now an insight to the stairways to Heaven. My biggest lesson learnt was never to ride too fast in the beginning of the climbs. Save the energy for the final climb or for any contingencies. I will try Pares and Bukit Hantu again.

Last weekend, Kooky Kash said she would give a shout for a ride to Kg Pares soon. My heart missed a beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment