November 03, 2009

First Foray

The only time I know how to kayuh, was when I was a tailor with Sparkmans Shop, which is Malaysia’s premier tailors for gentlemen. I had learnt my kayuh skills from observing my young colleagues, mainly seamstresses. Our livelihood depended on how fast we kayuh on our Singer Sewing machines.  Boy those were the days. Actually I should be blogging on fine gentlemen attires as I have picked up some expertise in this field. This included cross dressings.

Hey, I know what you are now thinking.  Actually it was cross dressings for ladies, as in their elegant corporate suits and attires. Seriously speaking, I am quite well versed in power dressing for both ladies and gentlemen. If anybody has a problem, they are welcomed to contact me. But I digressed.

Having improved in my weekly walks and cycling with my monster mtb, which could be modified to be a tank if I mount a gun on it, I was fairly fit. I could now clock 20 to 30 k a week for my walks, and about 30 to 40 k per week on my tank.

The next day after I got my roadster, May Senn invited me to join her and her kakis for a test ride in the Ulu Langgat area. I have never ridden a road bike before in my life. She said it was Ok as it was about 50 to 60 K and we’ll do it at our own pace. However it will be fairly ‘undulating’. Nice and easy word. (I think she did not want to frighten me of the hills at Peres and Bukit Hantu). When I took up her offer, I did not see her smile.

Sunday morning May Senn woke me up from bed at 6.15 am. Yuk, loosing a chunk of my quality snoozing time. She had briefed me the night before to eat well and rest well. I ate a heavy breakfast and packed some toasted bread, biscuits, kacang, sweets, power bar gel, mineral water and malt. I was 7 eleven.

 We arrived Bt 18 at 7.30 am and met up with Arif, Mac, a nice married couple, and several others (forgot their names).  My initiation was to ride to Kg Terkala for nasi lemak with a small group of us, and the main group would ride to Peres and other further destinations.

It was actually a breeze for the first 10 k to the hilltop at the T Junction, left to Peres and right to Kg Terkala. I was given a grand applause and standing ovation by all, when I reached up the hill, pushing my bike that is.

We pushed on to Kg Terkala. I was the last rider and May Senn had previously briefed me about riding safe and some riding rules. The rear person is always to warn riders in front, of cars coming from behind. Boy, did I have a heavy responsibility being last rider all the time. Once as I was climbing, looking down and puffing away, I had to cry “Caaar” only to laugh at myself, as all the front riders were at least 800 metres ahead. Duh!

We reached Kg Terkala, but actually went further to the Semenyih Cemetery area for lunch and returned safely to Bt 18, pushing my bike up some of the “undulating” areas.

------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment