November 30, 2009

First Long Haul




I had intended to post my rides to Port Dickson, but my priority of effort was challenged when I agreed to lend a hand to put up another blogsite and a website to support our membership drive for the Pacesetters Putrajaya Area Group. Thankfully both new sites are fairly uptodate and running. However I will need some visitations, feedbacks and comments so that I can refine them. You are welcomed to visit paceputrajaya.blogspot.com and paceputrajaya.ucoz.com.

My first ride to PD was to Telok Kemang, PD about 75km one way. I mentioned one way because I was on cheat mode. I rode one one way only. And I had to put up a brave face when my other half came to pick me up for the journey home. At least I had nasi lemak with the group at Telok Kemang before their ride back.

The group comprise about six or seven veteran riders led by May Senn and Arief.  Max as usual volunteered to be sweeper, to which I took over the role a couple of kilometers later. Max would be bored to death following me at about 15 – 18 km per hour. Bangi – PD was my first ever, long haul. Though I had clocked in two rides in the Kg Terkala area (50 km) and I had been making progress in my training rides in Putrajaya areas. I had several times mentioned to May Senn that I was ready for PD. I chose PD because I thought the route would be fairly flat being in the coastal area. And I had informed May Senn, that I’ll do only one way as she had described the route to me as undulating and rolling. I may not be able to make it back. So I was on cheat mode and I was glad everybody forgave me as I had promised to make up with another full ride soonest.

The ride to PD was nice and steady to my delight. It was a very pleasant morning and it was almost flat in the first leg to Sepang town, about 30 km of state road. We stopped at the Shell petrol station for regrouping and to refill our water bottles. As I was cool and fairly comfortable, I made the cardinal sin of not drinking my water until Sepang. Dehydration took its toll without my feeling it at first. Since everybody had waited for me for some time, I had a quick gulp of water and said I was ready to push on. Big mistake. The second leg of the route from Sepang to Lukut was undulating with rolling hills for about 15 km.  My legs’ muscles start to cramp up. And I was glad that I had learnt how to manage cramp threats during my rides in the Kg Terkala hills. I survived the second leg and caught up with the group again at the last 15 km or so. My morale was very high as I rode pass PD town along Jalan Pantai. I did not have to ride home. We arrived Telok Kemang just before lunch time. To our dismay ABC and Gula Melaka were only available after 1300 hrs. Nasi lemak and Air Bandung were very nice though.

My wife with my son driving my Toyota, picked me and my bike up after lunch at Telok Kemang. I didn’t even have to drive home, nicely manjared by my better half. I dread to have to ride back in the hot sun to Bangi.

 

I had promised to all, another ride to PD soon and also not to cheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment