November 06, 2009

Kg Terkala revisited


I enjoyed my first foray to Kg Terkala. The ride was fun and very challenging for an old school and newbie like me. Soon enough May Senn invited me to do another Kg Terkala. I jumped to the invitation as I know I was more prepared for the undulating ride this time around. Don’t let the picture and contour graph above intimidate you. It is fun I assure you.

 

We arrived at Bt 18 after the same heavy breakfast and packings for the ride. I met the usual group of riders, slightly smaller group this time. I saw Arif amongst others, and yes Mac too. Nobody can miss Mac. Others I still cannot remember their names. I think they called themselves Le Tuangers, having done quality pontings in their college days at the RMC, Sg Besi. I am fully aware of what Budak Boys do in the RMC, as I was once their tutor instructor from 1968 to 1970.

 

The thing about me not remembering their real names is mainly due to riders often called  and referred to each other in their cool riders’ monikers, like Ishs and Yits and Shals. Very unlike old school’s proper names like Ahmeds, Yusofs, Hassans, and Lai etc. I am glad May Senn is still May Senn.

 

The ride to Kg Terkala is very interesting and we met a lot of other riders doing the same route, either starting from Bt 14 or from the other end at Semenyih / Kajang.  The first 10 K was a breeze, terrian flat at about 50 to 100 metres above sea level and just beginning to rise to a manageable gradient. The next 5 K is on a higher elevation at about 150 to 330 metres above sea level and quite undulating from 10 K to 18 K. It tapers down again from 14 K to 18 K at about 100 metres above sea level. Climb ratios are about 1:0.14 at its max It is all kampung environment for the first 10 K with nice Kampung houses and fruit trees. And also kampung folks and their dangerous kids riding their fathers’ kapchais indiscriminately. As the road winds up the hills, the environment is more into jungle fringes along the ride. There are a couple of beautiful lakes up in the hills at 14 K. These lakes make up the Ulu Langat water catchments and reservoir dams. They are also paradise spots for fresh water fishing activities in the weekends. There is also a nice waterfall seen at 15 K along the way. Just nice to freshen up if needed. A lot of monkeys too.

 

The route is well sign posted with milestones. There is a major turning to Bukit Hantu back to Bt 14. Kg Terkala itself is a well developed recreation and rest area. Food, drinks and fruit stalls there do brisk business for the best part of the day. We had our usual nasi lemak lunch from our favourite stall and returned to Bt 18 in good timings. I had fared much better than my first ride.

 

I improved on my riding and timings and felt fitter, only to be taken for a ride again by May Senn. The next ride would be to Peres enroute to Kg Terkala. Peres ? That is 9 K up, up, up, all the way to the Pass. Got to beef up my muscles.

---------------------------------------

 

No comments:

Post a Comment